As part of consultations in my clinic, my goal is to educate my clients so they understand how and why the treatments I perform on them will benefit their skin.
My most popular treatment is HydraFacial, a 6 in 1 medical grade facial. The 6 stages of HydraFacial include; Lymphatic drainage, deep cleanse & exfoliation, light glycolic peel, extractions, hydration infusion & LED light therapy.
What I have discovered from doing so many of these consultations is that most people don’t know anything about their lymphatic system, which has an incredibly important role in our bodies. This week’s post is all about the lymphatic system, the health impacts from it not working properly and how to speed it up!
What is the Lymphatic system?
Simply put, it’s a network of tissues and organs that are the bodies toxin drainage system, removing waste and other unwanted materials. The main function of the lymphatic system is to transport lymph, a fluid containing infection-fighting white blood cells throughout the body.
It basically helps our bodies to remove the crap it doesn’t need and is also incredibly important in the wound healing process.
Why does the Lymphatic system slow down?
The Lymphatic system is made up of 96% water. Let’s face it, most of us don’t drink enough water and dehydration can have a big impact. Lack of exercise also contributes to a sluggish lymphatic system, resulting in a build up of toxins within the body!
What are the side effects of a sluggish lymphatic system?
Aesthetically it can result in water retention leading to:
- Puffiness around the eyes & face
- Dull skin
- Dark circles
- Dry skin/dry skin conditions
From a health perspective it can cause:
- Swollen glands
- Increased fatigue
- Sinus infections
- Regular illness and feeling run down
What can you do to speed the lymphatic system up?
The big things that you can change within your lifestyle are:
- Drinking plenty of water everyday – at least 2 litres
- Find an exercise or activity you love and do it regularly – this can be a class, a walk, a jog, an at home video (I love using a website called fitness blender because I can do it at home and they have hundreds of free workouts to choose from!)
- Eat well – Less processed food, more fruit & veg!
- Get a massage – massages are purposefully done towards lymph nodes to increase the natural flow of the system
- Get a lymphatic drainage treatment – using a suction cup can increase the lymphatic system even further, by up to 44 times in fact! Watch the video of me treating Madi below!
You can get some amazing results from lymphatic drainage as seen below, these were taken before and after 6 HydraFacial treatments! However lifestyle should be the first thing to look at, small changes can have a big impact on your health and your skin!
If you have any questions, please get in touch through our social media channels
Thanks for reading